Friday, October 28, 2011

It's all Happy Birthday, but all I get is Easter Dinner.

I cannot say I am sad that this week is ending, and that I received a job cancellation for working at my current clinic on Saturday.  Normally, a cancellation makes me very angry, especially when I had previously turned down a day of work somewhere else (which I had).  Somehow, though, I just can't keep up this week, and I'm not even exercising or cleaning the house.  It's a blessing that work is done for the week, even with making a few less dollars.  I guess when you are commuting to physical therapy 3.5 hours each way twice a week plus 2 visits to the doctor's office for a pain flare up, you lose a little bit of free time.  Maybe it's the steroids I was put on this week.  Who knows.

I had my first real food test today, but I made it through easily. One of the technicians at my current clinic had a birthday.  And, there was a marble birthday cake with frosting.  I love birthday cake.  I'm trying to allow myself a group of coworkers who don't know that medical issues continually invade my mind, as I want a group of peers somewhere that view me as "normal".  Yet, how does a self-professed sugar junkie as myself avoid the piece of birthday cake?  Honestly, a "No, thank you" was all that was needed.  I also noted that I did not spend the afternoon in a sugar slump either - I stayed awake, alert, and friendly.  My physical therapist told me yesterday that lamb and sweet potatoes for a meal are not so bad.  She says it's like having Easter dinner every day.  She asked if I could have mint jelly with it.  I don't think I've ever had mint jelly, but it certainly sounds forbidden.

Until next time,
       Josie

The stats:  October 27 2011:  Only food: water, lamb, sweet potato, carrots, pear.  Pain level - 5 on the drive up to PT (bladder and urethra), which was brought to a 2 during TENS therapy.  Car trip home after 3pm urination (which may have been over concentrated) Pain Level of 8-10 (bladder).  In obgyn's office at 4-5:30pm and hormone panel (FSH, estradiol, progesterone) submitted that evening. (A side note to my friends out there - If you ever want a good nurse to pull your blood for laboratory work, go to the city ER in the evening.  You will be the easiest lab stick of the entire night, probably the only patient who is not hypovolemic!)  Medications: methylprednisolone Day 3, Prosed DS every 8 hours, amitriptyline SID, vagifem, and flexeril for emergency pain flare.  Did the flexeril work?  I still don't know.

October 28, 2011  water, lamb, sweet potato, carrots, pear.  Pain level hovering at about a 3- urethra and vaginal burning.  Medications: methylprednisolone Day 4, Prosed DS TID, amitriptyline SID.  Home PT stretches and strengthening exercises BID .  Dilators.  Flexeril post-PT.

No comments:

Post a Comment