Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Name Is, What?

Ok.  I'll level with you.  My name is not really Josie.  Obviously, when I started this blog, I did not want everyone locally to begin to ID me.  Especially, if I was going to tell job-relates stories or talk about my medical issues.  In retrospect, this seems to be silly, as the only people "reading" this blog appear to be in Russia, and I think that these are just random search engine hits.  Anyway, for all you search engines, here is a random story just for you:

Several years back, I was completing my senior rotations in veterinary school.  One patient was a large Rottweiler named "Josie" that had a large bone fragment in her elbow that made her lame.  She came in on the start of my block, and she was quite memorable for a few different reasons.  First, she had a lovely personality and was a great dog.  Second, she broke out with the worst diarrhea I had ever seen (and I used to work quite heavily with puppies sick from Parvovirus infections) overnight in the kennel and ended up testing positive for having a massive giardia infection.  Next, this information was used to diagnose the owner with a giardia infection also; the owner had been sick for weeks, lost 15 lbs, her doctors could not figure out why she was sick, and she and the dog both swam in the same contaminated pond.  But, there is even one other story that still makes this patient stick out in my mind:

A senior block usually lasts between 3 and 4 weeks.  Every morning starts with the surgeon and his/her resident walking with their veterinary students through the kennel to conduct rounds on patients.  There are usually about 6 or 7 students per block.  Anyway, in the morning, the exhausted students sometimes say very little, resulting in the surgeon "calling on" the student by name to answer the questions.  Somewhere into week two, the surgeon would ask his questions and then randomly call on "Josie" to answer it.  The dog "Josie" has been long gone.  The students (male and female) stare at each other, in silence.  Finally, the surgeon calls-on someone else, and the day continues.  About a week later, "Josie" gets called on again. After the same, long pause of quiet, I answer it.  To my shock, the surgeon accepts the answer and the discussion moves forward.  It was at this moment that everyone starts to realize that he thinks my name is "Josie".  I realize, to my horror, that my surgeon must think that I am the dumbest student in the block, for not only do I not answer his questions, I do not even respond to his voice.  The students find this hilarious.  Fortunately, the resident later ran to the surgeon to tell him his mistake.  I receive a great apology and a A in the block.  Crisis averted.  However, sometimes, I do still get called "Josie" by my classmates.

                     Josie

The Numbers:  December 13, 2011.  Food:  Breakfast: Trader Joe's Oatmeal cereal and coconut milk.  Lunch:  Arnold's Honey Wheat Bread, Jiff creamy peanut butter, sweet potato, olive oil, sea salt, I Can't Believe it's Not Butter (we ran out of Land O' Lakes).  Snack:  pear, red grapes (new food!)  Christmas cookies.  Dinner:  pork, brown rice, spinach, yellow squash (new) olive oil, sea salt, fresh avocado, slice of Whole Foods Havarti Dill cheese.  Dessert:  sour cream based cupcake, Mint Oreo's, Walmart brand vanilla wafers.
Medications:  pyridium TID, amitriptyline SID, Zyrtec SID, Cosamin, Free Fatty Acids.  Advil (2) in AM for cramping.

Pain:  Cystitis/urethritis about a 3-4 all day.  Vulvodynia about a 3.  Difficult to assess, as uterine cramping/abdominal bloating/GI bloating/colitis may be cause for discomfort.  I know this looks icky on paper, but this was not a bad day.  Mood was very good, and I could be productive.  Did not use TENS.

No comments:

Post a Comment