Tuesday, December 6, 2011

We can all laugh now, because everything is ok.

I received a call from a friend of mine Saturday afternoon.  We used to work together at the same clinic (she is a technician), until I left my job there to try my hand at relief work 10 months ago.  She loves chihuahuas.  She had left work Saturday afternoon, after hosting a Christmas party for the practice's clients, and she returned home to put her little elderly chihuahua outside.  Unfortunately, a hawk swooped down on the little dog (she is only 3 lbs) and tried to take off with her.  This is the part of the story when people start laughing.  I understand; I feel the same way.  People who are not fans of these little toy breeds call them Little Rats, and here is Mother Nature confirming your name.  Even though I no longer work for this practice, she called me to come in to treat her little dog, who was suffering from head trauma, secondary blindness, and was in hypovolemic shock.  It suddenly was not funny.  I worked for an hour and a half, and that little dog went home with her owner for a weekend of nursing care.  I received a few messages last night, the little girl is doing great and getting her vision back.  I told my husband, "The dog is ok.  You may laugh now."

This situation stirred up many emotions within me.  First, I realized how much, deep down inside, when I am not being abused by an employer/horrible schedule/etc. I love my job.  I need it to feel of value.  I want to work more, and this isn't about money.  Second, I was scared; trying to treat a critical friend's dog under the spotlight of your old employer - there was just a lot of pressure.  However, even though I was very scared, I did not become painful.  I think this is helpful to reinforce that all my bladder pain and vulvodynia is  not "in my head" or all stress induced.  Third, although I would never want my friend to pay me, I feel that my old employer/practice owner should have voiced something, at least a "Thank You", for me dropping in last night.  There are four doctors employed in that practice, and not one of them had to come in on their Saturday to work because of me.  I don't mean to be a jerk, but it does leave a sour taste in my mouth.  I guess this just reinforces the feeling that my efforts at that practice were never fully appreciated and that I had made a good decision to leave at the start of the year.

            Josie

The Numbers:  Yes, I have been very slack about blogging and recording.  For several days, I did jot down some good notes by hand.  I think I just wanted to feel normal and not sick for a while.  Here is the updated info...to the best of my knowledge.

December 1, 2011.  Food:  Breakfast- oatmeal, followed by Honey Nut Chex and coconut milk.  Lunch - venison, pear, carrots, celery, sea salt, olive oil.  Snack:  mint Oreos.  Dinner:  Honey Nut and Wheat Chex.  Wal-Mart White Bread.  Land o' Lakes margarine.
Medications:  Pro Sed in AM.  When became painful in afternoon, changed to Pyridium at 3pm and 11pm.  Amitriptyline SID, Zyrtec SID.  Cosamin BID
Pain:  0-2 cystitis/vulvodynia in am.  At 3pm, cysitis/urethritis at a 4 - used TENS, which helped.  At night, pain levels at 0-2, but colon cramping did start.

December 2, 2011.  Food:  Wheat Chex and coconut milk.  Lunch:  Venison, pear, carrots, celery, sea salt, olive oil.  Wal-Mart White bread, Land O' Lakes margarine.  Snack: mint Oreos, peppermints.  Dinner:  Orange Roughy, olive oil, sea salt, carrots, sweet potato.  Dessert:  mint Oreos, Wal-Mart chocolate chip cooie, Wal-Mart white bread, Land O'Lakes margarine.
Medications:  Pyridium TID, Zyrtec SID.  I forgot to refill my amitriptyline!
Pain:  0-2 everything in AM (worked food bank - no pain this time).  2-4 pm cystitis was a 2 and urethritis was a 3.  I am pretty sure I used TENS afterwards (this is where I hurt myself by not making better notes), and all were about a 2 from 6pm and onward.

December 3, 2011:  Food:  Breakfast:  Wheat Chex, coconut milk.  Snack (went to craft fair) funnel cake with powdered sugar (only a small amount).  Lunch:  venison, pear, carrots, celery, olive oil, sea salt, Wal-Mart white bread and Land O' Lakes margarine.  Snack:  mint Oreos and Walmart chocolate cookies.  Dinner:  Lamb, sweet potato, asparagus.  Dessert:  Christmas cookies (sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, margarine), as I tried to make my mother's/grandmother's recipe and FAILED.  Not frosted yet.
Medication:  Pyridium TID, Zyrtec SID, amitripyline SID, flexeril that night.  Started Vitamin E.  Continued Cosamin BID
Pain:  0-2 all in AM (I place the 2 because we walked all through the craft fair and the urethritis and vulvodynia may have mildly started.  Urethritis about a 2-3 right before bed, so I took 1 flexeril. 

December 4, 2011:  Food:  Breakfast:  Wheat Chex and coconut milk.  Lunch: peanut butter sandwhich, Anorld's Honey Wheat Bread, carrots, pear.  Dinner:  brown rice, corn chips, guacamole.  Dessert:  mint Oreos.
Medications:  Pyridium TID, Zyrtec SID, amitriptyline SID, Cosamin BID, Vit E TID. 
Pain:  2 cystitis/vulvodynia/urethritis in AM, became a 3-4 for vulvodynia when when to get Christmas tree (walking) (about 2-3pm).  Mood a 7 (bad!).  Took nap, got up and exercised - very well improved.  Mood down to 3-4.  Pain down to 2. 

December 5, 2011:  Food:  Breakfast:  Wheat Chex and coconut milk.  Snack:  carrots.  Lunch - Arnold's Honey Wheat bread, Jiff peanut butter.  Oatmeal.  pear.  Snack - regular Oreos, and Soft Batch chocolate chip cookies.  Dinner:  Pork roast (with olive oil, onions, mushrooms, green pepper), corn chips, guacamole, spinach, rice.  Dessert - mint Oreos, peppermint.
Medications:  Pyridium TID, Zyrtec SID, amitriptyline SID, Cosamin BID, VIT E TID.
Pain:  2-3 cysitis/urethritis in AM.  weird abdominal palpation thing at PT.  By PM - all pain was 0-2.  Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment