Friday, November 11, 2011

I always wanted to be a vet!

Whenever I meet someone for the first time and tell them what I do-for-a-living, there runs a 50% chance that the person I am talking to will respond, "I always wanted to be a vet!"  Everyone always has this dreamy colored vision of us running around hugging puppies and kittens.  And, I won't lie, those are the best appointments!  I love them.  But, there is also this really dark side to the profession, that the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) really doesn't encourage us to talk about.  There is the acting of having to euthanize a dog or cat because they were hit-by-a-car, and the owner has no money to try to save it.  Or, the client that demands that you solve their dog's severe allergy issue, but refuse every diagnostic test that you recommend.  Or, you watch a little old man leave the side door of your practice, alone, after you just euthanized his last companion on earth, a little old cat.  It will break your heart and stress you to your breaking point.  Studies have stated that veterinarians are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than any other professional group.  One study, I think from Australia, stated that something like one in three veterinarians suffer from some debilitating emotional disorder, like severe anxiety.  Let me tell you, I know a large number of veterinarians, and I think that the statistics fit.

My husband always says that he thanks God that I have my best friend Amy.  We met each other while suffering through veterinary school.  We struggled through a few exhausting blocks together during our senior rotations.  We understand the other's secret deep monsters that will appear when the clients are difficult, the hours are long, and we are just flat out of coping strategies.  Unfortunately, for me, she lives across the U.S. from me, so we only get to see each other once or twice a year.  Fortunately, for both of us, we carry cell phones and talk regularly.  And, my husband fully understands that no matter what is going on in our lives here, if she buzzes my cell phone twice in 5 minutes, I really need to answer it.  My husband doesn't mind, because he knows that it works both ways.

Amy has some of the best stories.  I will tell you one of them in my next post.
             Josie


The Numbers:  Food:  (ugh!  I spent 3 minutes in Publix today starting at a chocolate fudge cake!  I want, I want, I want!)  Lamb, sweet potato, pear, carrots, olive oil, asparagus, plum.  New food:  Sea salt.  Medications:  ProSed DS TID, amitriptyline SID, Zyrtec SID, Flexeril one time.  Still spotting, so no progesterone.  Pain:  I feel great (I just really, really, really want cake!  I feel like I am starving!).  I felt great enough to have wonderful sex this morning with my husband.  Yes, that detail is WAY too personal to add into a blog.  Unless, you suffer from vulvodynia...in which case, it becomes vitally important.  In fact, it is one of the major goals of treatment and something that I had to learn many months ago must be discussed about in my medical appointments.  Today would be a mile-stone; be happy for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment